Hey friends! Going to WDW is so much fun. When choosing where to stay there are two major ideas on where to stay. First, you can stay on-site at WDW at one of their many resorts. These range in price from very expensive to more affordable. The other thought is to stay off-site either at a local hotel or even rent a home from someone. There are positives and negatives to both, so let’s start with some positives about staying off-site!
5 Great Ways to Save Off-Site
- Cheaper Rooms – This might be the biggest reason to stay off site. You will save a ton of money on your room. The least expensive rooms at WDW are around $120 per night for your vacation. There are lots of hotels around WDW that have rooms at half of that price! We suggest you do your research and find out what is best for your trip!
- If you forget something, just picking it up at the drugstore – It seems every trip we forget something. Whether it is the sunscreen or a toothbrush, it gets left at home. Since we mostly stay on-site, it is just easier for us to go to the lobby gift shop and grab the item. When you do that the price is almost double what you pay at the drugstore. If you are staying off-site and forget something it is easy to just go grab it at the closest store and pay the lower price.
- Buy drinks and keep them refrigerated – Bottled water is $3.50 and soda is $3.99 in the parks. Over a 5 day trip that can really add up. When you are staying off property especially in a villa or house you will have access to refrigerator and can keep drinks cold and pack them for a day at the parks, or have a nice cold drink waiting for you when you get back.
- Eat outside the parks and resorts – Let’s just look at a quick service breakfast for a family of 4 at a WDW resort. Prices for breakfast are between $10-$15 per person in your family. That is anywhere from $40 to $60 per day for breakfast! If you are staying off site, you can easily go to the grocery store or order from our friends at Garden Grocers and save a ton by just getting a few breakfast items.
- Less tempted to buy souvenirs – When you stay on-site there is a really cool feature: when you buy a souvenir it can be delivered to your room. While this is great, it can be a drawback. Let’s say a young child in your family wants to buy a large dinosaur while visiting Animal Kingdom. If you are staying on-site it’s easy just yo ship it to your room. If you are staying off-site, you can talk to the child and say if you buy that you will have to haul it around all day. This might really discourage them or make them think twice before buying any souvenir.
Staying off site will definitely save you some big bucks! These are just a few of the examples of ways to save when staying off site. When planning your trip to WDW, you will want to explore your options and do what is best for you and your family. The most important thing to remember is that you will have an amazing and magical trip no matter where you stay.